When a company or corporation wants to conduct or run a business under fictitious or assumed name, they are required to make an official request in the local trading department or government department and ask them to allow them using an assumed name for their business. This formal request application or letter is known as the fictitious or assumed name certificate by a corporation.
Brief description of the fictitious or assumed name certificate by a corporation:
There are many situations in which a company or the owners of a corporation can’t use their names in the title of the business but they have to go with assumed names. But, before they do so, they are legally required to enter their application in the local trading department and disclosing number of documents i.e. name of the company, names of the owners, type of business the company will conduct and other articles of corporation. When they file the formal application in a department, the department considers the application as the formal certificate to use a fictitious or assumed name entered by a corporation.
Key elements to include in the fictitious or assumed name certificate by a corporation:
- The exact or true name of the entity/corporation that is filing for the certificate
- The assumed or fictitious name that the corporation wants to register for business use
- Reference to the particular law of the local government that allows the corporations to use fictitious or assumed name
- Complete address of the corporation head office where it conducts the business along with the addresses of its franchises and branches in other cities and states
- Indicating the names of cities, states and countries in which the corporation is doing business or wants to conduct business under assumed name
- Proper reasons of using fictitious or assumed name for the corporation (if applicable)
- Name of the owners, partners, shareholders and members of board of directors in the corporation
- Sworn statement of all the partners asking for the permission to use assumed name
- Date when the corporation came in existence/started its business
- Signatures of the partners and owners of the corporation
Importance and uses of the fictitious or assumed name certificate by a corporation:
You can easily understand that when a company doesn’t use the real names of owners and partners in the title name or while conducting business with other companies, it can lead to misunderstandings and disputes or complications between the companies. This is why it is really important that if you want to use an assumed name for your company in order to conduct business, you first file a formal application in the local trading department and ask them to give you permission so that you can use the authority letter for business purposes. This way when you want to do business with another company and they suspect that you are using an assumed name in your company, you can show them the authority certificate issued by the government that allows you to use a fictitious name and legalize the entire process.
Here is preview of a Free Fillable Corporation Certificate Template (For Fictitious or Assumed Name) in PDF Format,
Here is download link for this Corporation Certificate Template (For Fictitious or Assumed Name),