In case you have financial problems or you just want to have a new start, you declare bankruptcy and by declaring that, you free yourself from all the debts and loan payments because with bankruptcy, the court orders your creditors that you can’t pay your debt and they have to consider it as bad debt and forget about it. But, there are some situations in which even if you declare bankruptcy, you sign an agreement with your creditor that you will keep making his loan payments and this agreement is known as the debt reaffirmation or reaffirmation agreement.
Brief description of Debt Re-Affirmation Agreement:
As you know there are two types of loans; secured and unsecured. If you include a third person as guarantor, this is also called a secured loan. When you declare bankruptcy because you can’t pay off your debt, this wipes out all the secured and unsecured debts from your record but with secured debts, the creditors have the legal right to sell your property as collateral or hold the guarantor responsible for your debt. This is why it is really important that even if you declare bankruptcy and can have a clean debt record, you go with reaffirming the debt especially when there is collateral or a guarantor is involved.
Basics of the Debt Re-Affirmation Agreement:
There are couples of things that you need to consider in order understanding the debt reaffirmation and these are also known as the basic elements of reaffirmation agreement. First, you should understand that if you reaffirm an old debt, you agree to all the previous terms and conditions of that debt and it includes all the clauses that you liked or disliked before. Also when you file for reaffirmation, you agree to put the old debt on your record even if it can be removed completely with declaring bankruptcy. In order to file for reaffirmation, you need to contact the bankruptcy court and get a reaffirmation agreement. After putting particulars in the agreement i.e. details of the debt, payment schedule and updated interest rate, you need to sign it and send it to your creditor.
Uses and needs of Debt Re-Affirmation Agreement:
By reading this debt reaffirmation content, many will wonder that if one can free himself from all the debt by declaring bankruptcy then why he would want to reaffirm an old debt. There are many key reasons of doing so but most importantly, this happens because the debtor wants to keep his property i.e. real estate property or vehicle that is collateral in a secured loan and even by declaring bankruptcy, the creditor has the right to sell the collateral and arrange for the pay back of the debt. Reaffirmation is also very common when there is a third person involved in the process as the guarantor. If he is one of your friends, family members, relatives or coworkers, you should understand that even if you declare bankruptcy, the guarantor will need to pay off your debt even if you can’t and if you don’t want him to be held responsible for your liability; you only have the choice of reaffirmation even after declaring bankruptcy.
Here is preview of a Free Sample Debt Re-affirmation Agreement created as fill-able PDF form,
Here is download link for this Debt Re-affirmation Agreement,
Download Debt Re-affirmation Agreement
Related Fillable PDF Forms
- Mutual Releases Agreement Template In order to terminate an agreement written and signed between two parties earlier, it is important for both of them to agree to terminate the agreement and return the things as they were before the agreement was signed or the deal was made. In this situation, when each party wants to […]
- Pre-settlement Real Estate Disclosure Agreement Template When entering in a deal, if either party i.e. buyer or seller wants the other party not to disclose any information or details of the deal until the deal is finalize and a contract is signed between the parties, they sign the disclosure agreement. With the disclosure agreement, both […]
- Partnership Agreement Template A partnership agreement is a legal contract that is signed between the investors who contributed to start a company and who own ownership rights in the company. This agreement on one hand, legalize the partnership of each partner in the company putting them responsible for the […]
- Disputed Account Settlement Agreement Template When two companies do business together, we can say that one of these partners have an account in the other company. For example, a company hires a supplier for raw material so in this situation we can say that the supplier has an account in the buyer’s company. With this account, the […]
- Unsolicited Idea Acknowledgement Agreement (For Company) When an individual or a group of people contacts a company or organization and present their unique idea in the meeting knowing that the company didn’t contact them or asked to present this idea and they are doing without any demand, it is known as unsolicited idea. In simple words, when […]
- Sample Surety Bond A surety bond is kind of an insurance or guaranty agreement that includes three parties or individuals. The first party is the debtor or the person who owes money or services to another party. The second party is the principal which can be an individual or a company which is secured with […]
- Mortgage Deed Form A deed is a legal document that is signed between a creditor and debtor as insurance or guaranty for the safe and secure return of the loan. On the other hand, a deed in real estate property is a document that indicates towards the actual owner of the property or the new buyer in case of […]
- Quitclaim Deed / Agreement When a person sells or buys real estate property, they have to sign a legal document known as property transfer deed which serves as the legal proof of the selling or buying process. The quitclaim deed that we are discussing here is the same kind of document that is used for transferring […]
- Demand Letter on Guarantor For Payment When a creditor wants to inform a guarantor about the upcoming credit payment, he is required to formally inform the guarantor and the debtor before taking any legal action or filing a case against them. The demand on guarantor for payment is the formal letter or notification sent to the […]
- Mortgage Bond Form A bond is a written agreement between two parties in which a party gives money to the other one and receives a certain amount of interest for every month or once a year and the guaranty of the interest and return of the loan capital is backed with the secure document known as the […]